These are just a few reasons why fresh pears are so great:
- Pears contain two of three antioxidants that are thought to decrease risk of type 2 diabetes – and red pears contain all three.
- Pears contain more fiber than almost all other fruits, with 22% of your recommended daily intake.
- They also contain about 12% of your recommended daily vitamin C.
- Fresh pears are delicious.
- They are a good source of vitamin B2, C, E, copper, and potassium.
- Pears contain more pectin than apples, which helps keep your cholesterol levels in check.
- Fresh pears are considered “hypo-allergenic” because people with food allergies can often enjoy pears without having a reaction.
- They are low glycemic, which means the carbs in pears are slow to convert to sugar – so you don’t get a sugar high and crash, which can wreak havoc on your body.
Pears are also great for baking, smoothies, salads and poaching. Experiment with your favorite recipes and enjoy all these health benefits of fresh pears!